Each year in the U.S., over a million people go to their doctor due to a minor to severe injury to their head. Many, over 150,000 of these patients, will be diagnosed with TBI or Traumatic Brain Injury. This type of injury, no matter what the cause, can affect your health and life for an abbreviated time or forever.
Any type of head injury may cause life-changing circumstances that affect your health, family, and, most of all, your finances.
Brain injuries can be caused by anything from car accidents to sports activities. However, if you or a family member has been in an accident and suffered a head injury that may have been the negligence of another, you could be entitled to compensation under the law. Any brain injury, even if it seems minor, may cause you to have any or several of the following symptoms:
- Headaches, which could be debilitating.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Fatigue or drowsiness could affect your work and family activities.
- Problems with speech and expressing yourself.
- Loss of consciousness for a few seconds or a few minutes or more.
- There is no loss of consciousness but a dizzy, confused, or disoriented feeling that comes and goes.
- Difficulty sleeping or sleeping more than usual.
It’s also important to note that the signs and symptoms of a brain injury, or TBI, may appear immediately or more slowly emerge days, weeks, or even months after your accident. Suppose you are diagnosed with any form of brain injury, especially a TBI. In that case, you could have decreased cognitive and functional abilities and may even be required to name someone as Power of Attorney to act in legal and financial situations.
The costs involved with these injuries may go far beyond the medical bills and include recovery time, lost wages, modifications to your home, and the loss of your income for months, years, or more.
First, you must receive immediate and thorough medical attention. Make sure you (or a family member) gather as much information about your injuries as possible. Take photos of the scene (if possible), collect witness info, medical information, etc., to present this all to your professional and knowledgeable Las Vegas brain injury lawyer. Your lawyer, and their team, will put all the data together, professionally file, and present your case to the court.
Remember, you and your loved ones must formulate an accurate picture and future case prognosis. Only then will you be able to know how much you may need to recover, provide for your family, and live the rest of your life to the fullest.
What Are Some Examples of Brain Injuries I Could Receive in an Accident?
Simply, there are several diverse types of brain injuries you can sustain, either in a vehicle accident, slip & fall, or in a myriad of ways. The most common three are:
- Concussions – This type of brain injury is due to the brain hitting the hard wall of the skull during an accident that causes you violent, almost instant movement.
- Contusion – This is a “bruise on the brain.” It also is caused by quick, violent movements and may have odd symptoms, such as difficulty forming sentences, slurred speech, difficulty creating new memories, and more.
- Penetration – Falling debris in an accident may cause this type of injury. It is usually very severe, and symptoms may include difficulty breathing, seizure, heavy blood loss, bladder or bowel function loss, and even coma or paralysis.
If you sustain any of these injuries (and there are many more), you could require months of costly medical treatment and many other costs you didn’t expect.
Suppose your accident was caused by another person’s negligence, institution, or corporation. In that case, obtaining a consultation with an experienced brain injury lawyer will help ensure you have the funds needed to get proper medical care and recovery treatment while keeping all your finances on track.
What Should I Expect If I File a Brain Injury Lawsuit in Las Vegas?
If you and your Las Vegas brain injury lawyer determine that your injury was contributed to, or caused by another party, then you will go through a series of steps in filing with the Nevada courts.
These steps are vital, and your experienced personal injury lawyer will guide you through every aspect of your filing and case.
These legal steps commonly include:
- Appoint a representative for your case.
- Following all pre-action protocols.
- Gathering detailed evidence regarding your accident.
- Gathering detailed medical records, documents, and evidence.
- Possibly negotiate your potential settlement amount.
- Fast-track and multi-track court proceedings.
- Also, settling out of court.
Filing these cases is a complex and detailed legal process that requires the constant professional attention of your lawyer from beginning to end. Only by obtaining the experienced help you need; can you be most assured of getting the funds needed to move on successfully with your life.
How Might a “Fair Settlement” Offer for My Case Be Determined?
The principal factor your Las Vegas personal injury lawyer brings to the table is their ability to prove liability and negligence on the part of the defendant who is offering to settle the case. This is where your brain injury lawyer’s experience, knowledge, and professional value are demonstrated.
By successfully gathering, preparing, and presenting the information involved in your case, detailing your injuries and their impact on your life, you will be able to determine what may be needed to move on financially. This calculation will determine what you, and your family need, may have to sustain you for the rest of your life.
So, a “good settlement offer” will be calculated based on the uncovered facts, cost of continued care, lost wages, and more. Do not leave any of this up to chance, and be sure to get the empathetic and professional help you need and deserve.
I Believe My Brain Injury Was Due To Another’s Negligence, How Should I Proceed?
If you even suspect that your accident and concurrent brain injury were due to another’s negligence, it’s best to consult with a qualified professional brain injury lawyer.
The outcome of your case may be instrumental in determining your proper recovery, financial stability, and the quality of the rest of your and your family’s life. The Las Vegas law firm of Precision Injury Law is passionate about brain injury cases and will do everything necessary to secure the compensation you require and that you are legally entitled to. Consult with them first, and don’t gamble with your future!