Being the most densely populated city in Nevada, Las Vegas has experienced a continuous rise in foot traffic fatalities in recent years. Statistics show that in 2017, one hundred pedestrians across Nevada were killed in motor vehicle accidents. This statistic is 25% higher than the number of pedestrian deaths in 2016.
There are many reasons why you would choose to walk instead of driving or using public transportation, especially in Las Vegas. Possibly for your health, or just to take in all the lights and grandeur of the city itself. Walking is one of the best ways to experience Las Vegas and is always available to us.
However, it can be hazardous if you are distracted by the sights and not paying attention. At times, even peeking at your phone or sightseeing, whether you’re the driver or the pedestrian, can lead to a devastating accident. If you are hit by any vehicle while walking, your injuries can often impact your life forever.
You may be severely injured after your accident, but there are things you must do immediately. If you cannot do them, enlist a friend, loved one, or witness to help you.
Some of these vital actions are:
- Call 911 immediately – Make sure that you receive proper medical care rapidly. It’s also vital to keep all medical records and bills related to your accident. Your personal injury lawyer will use these documents to prove your case and fight the insurance companies, so you receive proper compensation.
- Record all the details the best you can – If you are able, write down, or dictate, everything you recall about your accident. The longer you wait after your accident, the more difficult it becomes to remember details accurately. Note the date, time, location, and all the pertinent specifics you can.
- File a police report as soon as possible – File a police report as soon as you can. This report is critical to you and your lawyer if you file your insurance claim and determine all your legal options.
- Collect witness information and photograph the scene – With all the smartphones available, it’s now much easier to take photographs of the accident scene. Capture all the aspects of the scene, including the vehicle’s positions involved. Attempt to note any video cameras in the area that your personal injury lawyer can review for more details of your accident.
Injuries from pedestrian accidents always are severe, and many are life-changing. The costs of medical treatment, recovery, lost wages, and much more can reach astronomical heights. Consult as soon as possible with a local Las Vegas pedestrian accident lawyer to help ensure you have the needed compensation for moving your life forward with confidence.
What Are Some Causes for Pedestrian Accidents in Las Vegas?
The “Strip” in Las Vegas is a busy and intriguing place, and during peak tourist hours, you will be exploring this area and its many amenities. Commonly, pedestrian accidents occur at night as, during this time, it’s more difficult for drivers to identify pedestrians along the side of the road or in a crosswalk.
Many factors engage in pedestrian accidents, but some of the most common are:
- Alcohol or drunkenness of the pedestrian or vehicle driver.
- The inattention of the driver or pedestrian.
- Jaywalking or crossing busy streets in problematic areas.
- Distracted pedestrians are a common cause.
- Pedestrians failing to identify vehicles turning.
It’s vital to note that distracted drivers can also be responsible for your pedestrian accident. “Smartphones” and the onset of social media have caused more people to use mobile devices while behind the wheel or walking down a busy street. Distracted drivers,
however, are negligent and being blamed for more tragic incidents involving pedestrians.
Why Is It Important To Use “Crosswalks” in Las Vegas?
According to Nevada law, pedestrians using crosswalks have a right-of-way if they obey the traffic signals. However, even if you violate the crosswalk signals, vehicles must yield the right-of-way to avoid an accident. In Las Vegas and all of Nevada, crosswalks exist at every intersection, whether marked or not.
The above facts generally allow a pedestrian who’s hit by a vehicle to file a Nevada personal injury lawsuit, for the following:
- All medical bills
- Any lost wages you may incur.
- Lost future earning capacity that is caused by your injury.
- Pain and suffering.
- Punitive damages in many cases, and more.
Even if you, as the pedestrian, were partially at fault by jaywalking or crossing while the “Don’t Walk” sign is flashing, the vehicle driver could be held liable if they were at least half at fault.
Your Las Vegas pedestrian accident lawyer is experienced and knowledgeable in all the legal aspects you need to know. They will diligently and aggressively fight for your rights so that you and your family receive the compensation required to thrive.
What Type of Compensation Can I Receive From My Pedestrian Accident?
Suppose you, or a loved one, have been the victim of a pedestrian accident that resulted in injury. In that case, it is absolutely in your best interest to contact a Las Vegas pedestrian accidents lawyer as soon as you are able.
In all pedestrian accidents, you may face many serious challenges. In addition to the physical and mental challenges that arise, you are often left to combat a sea of financial issues, such as:
- Costly medical and rehabilitation costs.
- Lost wages and time off work.
- Potentially a permanent disability.
- Insurance company issues and disputes.
- Other legal matters, including those related to liability.
During your consultation with a qualified, local personal injury attorney, they will examine your specific case and determine the grounds for a personal injury lawsuit. Such a claim will allow you and your family to achieve the justice you deserve while also helping you recover fully and obtain all the necessary and fair compensation for your undue injury.
I Have Been In a Pedestrian Accident in Las Vegas; How Should I Proceed?
Very often, the injuries you may incur in a pedestrian accident can be devastating to your health and your financial well-being. These cases are legally complex and involve many medical documents, detailed analysis of the scene, witness testimony, and much more. You need a local Las Vegas pedestrian accident law firm with local legal experience and knowledge to protect your rights. Consult with them first, and your lawyer will fight aggressively for the compensation you need to recover and provide for your family.