What Is “Pain and Suffering?”
Pain and suffering can be due to myriad physical and (possibly even worse) emotional scars that are much more difficult to treat and recover from. Most personal injury lawsuits focus on the physical pain of the inflicted injuries and are usually the more common avenue that your personal injury law team will pursue. However, your Las Vegas personal injury lawyers have successfully argued that you (as the victim) deserve considerably more compensation for conditions, such as; depression, broken family ties, forced changes in your life, etc., caused by your accident and the negligence of others.
Some common types of pain and suffering you may receive compensation for include:
- Chronic and debilitating pain.
- Migraines and headaches resulting from a head or neck injury.
- Fatigue, lack of stamina, and loss of energy.
- Inability to pursue your present job, hobby, or other activities you enjoyed and needed due to pain or limited mobility.
- Sexual dysfunction causes a lack of intimacy.
- Anxiety and many types of depression.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Insomnia and diminished cognitive function.
So, yes, under the current Nevada laws, as an injured victim, you have the right to seek financial compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, out-of-pocket expenses, and more. However, you can also obtain payment for your “non-economic losses,” such as “pain and suffering.”
Numerous conditions and disorders may also qualify for compensation and are not as quickly diagnosed, treated, or able to put a monetary number on. So, to ensure you obtain the total compensation you need to recover, you must consult an experienced, knowledgeable, and aggressive Las Vegas personal injury attorney. By doing so, you best ensure that you and your family have the funds needed to move forward with your lives.
In Nevada, Is There a Standard For Compensation For My Pain & Suffering?
When you’re injured, it’s relatively easy to calculate your direct financial losses. Your detailed personal injury law team will collect all your medical bills, recovery costs, physical rehabilitation costs, lost wages, and more and calculate a number to collect in your lawsuit. However, when “pain & suffering” or other less tangible injuries are involved, that number is much harder to determine. It depends significantly on your Las Vegas personal injury law firm’s experience, negotiating skills, and aggressive nature!
So, most injured parties question; just how much pain and suffering compensation I can recover after my accident in Nevada. This answer depends entirely on your case’s specific facts and details.
When a jury analysis one of these types of “pain & suffering” cases, they are told that there are “No definite standards (or methods of calculation) as prescribed by law by which to fix reasonable compensation for pain and suffering.” Accordingly, Nevada law requires the jury to use “calm and reasonable” judgment in awarding an amount for your pain and suffering damages.
Accordingly, in all “pain and suffering” related cases, the concept’s vague nature makes it difficult to put a precise dollar figure on your compensation. A great deal of ambiguity is involved in calculating pain and suffering damages because each person can be affected differently by the same type of injuries.
Also, unfortunately, insurance companies will attempt to take advantage of this uncertainty, and their lawyers will fight to undervalue pain and suffering damages.
This is where the winning and aggressive litigation of your Las Vegas personal injury law team will be invaluable in protecting your rights and getting you the compensation you need and deserve.
How Can My Lawyer Prove I’ve Endured Pain & Suffering?
First, you must know that all non-economic damages (such as pain & suffering) are subjective. Therefore, actually “proving” them is directly affected by your empathetic and aggressive personal injury law team convincing the jury (or the defendant’s insurance company or lawyer) to award them the requested amount.
Some common ways of “proving” pain and suffering may include:
- Your medical records – X-rays and other visual test results can be compelling in making a valid case for your injury and very plausible for the jury. Therefore, the more complete your medical records, the more likely you are to receive damages for pain and suffering.
For example, before and after photos or videos can be an excellent way to illustrate non-economic losses.
- Past social media posts, texts, and emails – Social media can be a “double-edged sword” and often make or break your case for non-economic damages. Don’t ever rely on privacy settings to protect yourself.
For example, posting a video of yourself boating on vacation can undermine your claim that you are suffering. Alternatively, while not dispositive, evidence that you joined a group to deal with a particular type of pain, recovery, or psychological issue could enhance your doctor’s testimony.
There are a few examples, but they are vital to winning your case. In actuality, the strength, depth, and thorough knowledge of proving and winning these cases by your Las Vegas personal injury lawyer will make all the difference.
What Are Some Ways My Lawyer Can Help Me Collect For Pain & Suffering?
There are essentially three fundamental reasons why you must have a qualified, experienced Las Vegas personal injury lawyer represent you if you are going to collect compensation for pain & suffering; they are:
- The insurance company will devalue your pain and suffering – Remember, there is no “usual” payout for noneconomic damages, so all insurance companies will push you to accept a rapid and reduced amount. Your lawyer’s experienced, proven negotiation skills will represent and fight tirelessly for you and your family.
- You must focus on your recovery – You cannot be dealing with pushy insurance adjusters now. Your effective law team will manage all legal aspects of your case. All you need to do is get the medical help you need and focus on your health and well-being.
- You need the proper evidence to prove your case – Proving these cases is legally complex. Your law team will collect medical records, all pertinent documentation, social media, and testimony from co-workers, family, and friends. All the evidence you need to properly and professionally make your case the best.
My Injury Has Caused Me, and My Family, Pain & Suffering; What Should I Do?
First, only attempt to enter these complex legal cases with professional help. Consult with a winning, empathetic, and skilled Las Vegas personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.
Work with a personal injury law firm with the skills, experience, and tenacity to get you complete, fair, and total compensation for your pain and suffering damages.
At the law offices of Precision Injury Law, the experienced lawyers will fight diligently to get what you deserve; call them today at (702) 425-8880 and get the most professional help you must have at this critical time for you and your family’s future.